A blog for people who aren't me.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Round Two

Okay, so here it goes. My second attempt at blogging. For those of you who followed last year, I promise to be better about updating this time around! For those of you who didn't follow last year, shame on you! Props to Graham Aufricht for the blog name. For all of those 90's kids out there, here's a little bit of nostalgia heaven...Ducktales, woo ooh! (<-- it's a link, you click it)

We are less than two days away from departure to Rwanda. I can't believe it's come so quickly. I have to admit, everything is much easier the second time around. No guestimates about how many ounces of shampoo I'll need for 2 months of bucket showering and I've successfully limited myself to 3 pairs of shoes (shower sandals included).

The past few days, though hectic, have been exciting. I've mostly been preparing for the work I'll be doing while abroad (more on that later), spending quality time with family and friends, and stuffing my face with as much beef and chicken as possible. Now I just have to fit all of this stuff into suitcases!

 
The Penultimate Supper. Goodbye sweet sweet Mexican food. I will be gone for a while, but please prepare for the tortilla chip binge that is definitely happening upon my return. I probably won't be having the frog legs again, but it was worth a try. And that lovely lady to my left is my hot mama :)

I can't wait to see what the summer has in store and I am so excited to share the experience with everyone. Stay tuned!  

5 comments:

  1. I'm leaving for Rwanda a month from today! I'll follow your blog to get a heads up if you don't mind. Where will you be staying? In Kigali?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! What will you be doing there? And, yes! I'll be in Kigali until July 27th. I will be doing quite a bit of traveling to other cities the second month, though. Definitely let me know when you get there! Aaron Eubank is in Rwanda as well, though I believe he is based in Nyanza with plans to visit Kigali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be with a class studying the genocide and post-genocide recovery. What are you doing there? I see this is your second trip. I'll be there (almost exclusively in Kigali) from June 21 - July 8, so not too long. Unfortunately I think that my schedule while I'm there is pretty jam packed by the program, but if possible it would be cool to rendezvous with y'all all the way in Rwanda after not seeing y'all for like 5 years now. Have a safe flight and I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will definitely be an interesting course. I'd love to pick your brain about it if possible. To put it briefly, I was in Tanzania last summer for an Engineering World Health Summer Institute. We spent one month learning Swahili and doing technical training and the second month repairing equipment in hospitals. This year I am helping to coordinate the same kind of institute, but in Rwanda. I completely understand the packed schedule! Just let me know if you will have any free time and want to get together. Meeting up in the evening for dinner is easy. Facebook is a good way to get a hold of me and I have a phone as well :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete